Irradiation (Total Lymphoid)
Deprecated: gmmktime(): The is_dst parameter is deprecated in /home/msinfo/public_html/includes/Parser.php on line 2424
Total lymphoid irradiation refers to the irradiation of all the parts of the body that contain lymphoid tissue. This includes the spleen and thymus. Irradiation is a type of therapy whereby radiation is applied to various parts of the body. This type targets lymphoid tissue, which contain lymphocytes such as T cells and B cells. The purpose of lymphoid tissue is to recognize foreign objects or antigens and to be involved in the activation of the immune system.
 Total Lymphoid Irradiation and MS
- This therapy has been used successfully in the treatment of other diseases, but has not yet been proven to work for people with MS.
- It is an experimental therapy and should only be used when all other treatment options have failed.
- Those who have a very progressive course of the disease generally use this therapy.
- “The Effect of Total Lymphoid Irradiation and Low-Dose Steroids on T Lymphocyte Populations in Multiple Sclerosis: Correlation with Clinical and MRI Status.” J Neurol Sci. 1997 Nov 25;152(2):182-92.
- “Modified Total Lymphoid Irradiation and Low Dose Corticosteroids in Progressive Multiple Sclerosis.” J Neurol Sci. 1997 Nov 25;152(2):172-81.
- “Total Lymphoid Irradiation in Multiple Sclerosis.” J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1994 Feb;57(2):154-63.
 ASK MS Articles
- Effect of Brain Irradiation on Demyelinating Lesions 1.2.L
- Release on Radiation Therapy for Multiple Sclerosis 18.104.22.168.b
- Total Lymphoid Irradiation in Chronic Progressive Multiple Sclerosis 22.214.171.124.c
“Lymph Node.” Google Definitions. 2 Aug. 2004 <http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&ie=UTF-8&q=define%3A+lymph+node&meta=>.
“Multiple Sclerosis: Experimental Medical Treatments.” Web MD. 2004. 2 Aug. 2004 <http://my.webmd.com/hw/multiple_sclerosis/hw191068.asp>.
“Total Lymphoid Irradiation.” Dorlands Medical Dictionary. 2 Aug. 2004 <http://www.mercksource.com/pp/us/cns/cns_hl_dorlands.jspzQzpgzEzzSzppdocszSzuszSzcommonzSzdorlandszSzdorlandzSzdmd_i_13zPzhtm>.